First we need to something to
mould into a volcano shape...some play dough!
PLAY DOUGH RECIPE:
- Mix 6 cups of flour, 2 cups of salt, 4 tablespoons of
cooking oil, and 2 cups of water in a large bowl.
- Work the ingredients with your hands until smooth
and firm. Add more water to the mixture if needed.
Next we have to build a volcanic
- Stand an empty plastic softdrink bottle in a
baking pan. Mold the play dough around the bottle making the slopes of
the volcano up to the mouth of the bottle
- Fill the bottle most of the way with warm water
mixed with a little red food colouring.
- Put 6 drops of the liquid detergent into the
bottle and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- Slowly pour vinegar into the bottle and stand
A nice bubbly red 'lava' should flow out of
This happens because of the baking soda and
vinegar undergo a chemical reaction (a chemical reaction is a process
in which one substance is chemically converted to another - all
chemical reactions involve the formation or destruction of bonds
between atoms) in which carbon dioxide gas is produced. The gas bubbles
build up in the bottle, forcing the liquid 'lava' mixture out and down
the sides of your volcano.